Monday, November 17, 2008

Fun accidents...

We went out Sunday to spend some time in the Great Outdoors. After 3 rainy days we were in desperate need of sunshine and fresh air. I suggested heading out to Bennett's Creek Park in Suffolk because it's big and open and the kids wanted to play at the playground on Tuesday when we were there, but I wouldn't let them because they were in their brand new holiday clothes. I also had it in the back of my mind that there is supposed to be a hidden Letterbox somewhere in the park so I thought maybe we could take a stroll through the woods and look for it.

Well, we didn't find the Letterbox but we found 2 geocaches! Without a GPS! How funny. We went ahead and signed our name as "Wiltinrose" and hoped it would be available when we got home to register online with it. Talk about doing it backwards. But it worked. And now I think I'm hooked. More walks in the woods, more hunts for caches = sooo much fun! The kids were excited by it. We have read some of the rules and understand the whole thing a bit better. My friend Jill and her family have found over 3,000 caches so she is a great source of encouragement and information. Woo-hoo!!! Now all we need is the GPS. Hmmm. I will have to discuss this with Santa.

Photos from our day yesterday...I will upload the complete set to Flickr so look there if you are interested in seeing them all.

Mushrooms in a hollow tree

A different hollow tree

Even MORE hollow trees! These two trees had huge holes. Pretty amazing. One was filled with rainwater and looked like a wishing well.

The view of the Nansemond River from the trail.

The mama with Tinna and William

Delaney

William and Tinna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is your car GPS portable? Ours is and you can put in the coordinates you want. Kathy