Monday, May 12, 2008

Fruits of the season...

I haven't done much in the way of German cooking, mostly I do Italian because that's good and easy, and I'm not really much of a meat eater so I can sneak in vegetarian meals without anyone else realizing it! Lately, I've been reading a German cookbook and thinking I should try to learn some German recipes. I've also been thinking about the years we lived in Iceland and all of the wonderful pastries that could be found there...just around every corner it seems there is a bakery. Our favourite pastry had fresh fruit on the top of it. A few months ago, I discovered a flan pan at an online store called The German Corner Store and realized I could make this delicacy myself. Today just happened to be that day! I had a few kiwi, fresh strawberries, and a banana. Below is the result of my efforts. It looks absolutely delicious! The kids are dying to try it but we have to wait for the glaze to set. I seem to recall that the Icelandic version has a sort of cream filling and is square. I will have to search around to find out if my memory serves me correctly. For now, this one will have to do. At any rate, it's very pretty to look at and I quite enjoyed putting it together!



I haven't done much of anything today...a bit of spinning and making the torte and that's about it. It's so gray and I can't seem to find motivation. I did feed the kids to keep them alive, but all in all, I've been a complete sloth. In an hour or so, we're going to take Henry to the vet and stop at McDonald's for dinner. There's a wind advisory in effect so walking him before we leave could prove to be challenging. Fun, fun!

No comments: