Saturday, January 19, 2008

Steel Cut Oats for the Crock Pot

Not so sure this is the recipe for me. I got this ready last night around 10:30...cooking time is 6-8 hours. I turned it off immediately upon awakening this morning...7:02. It was quite "gluey" in texture with bits of chewiness here and there. Definitely needs to be on a timer to allow for a shorter cooking time. I didn't follow the recipe exactly...I omitted the butter and salt, threw in 1/2 cup of dates and sprinkled some cinnamon on top. I didn't want to have to add brown sugar to this when I ate it this morning but I couldn't get it down any other way. First I tried a drizzle of maple syrup and that did nothing to help the taste, so then I went with a tablespoon of brown sugar, added some milk, and it was ok. One cup of steel cut oats makes enough to feed me for at least 4 days. So, if I can find a way to tweak this into a better consistency, it will be economical AND time saving. It's nice to think that my breakfast is ready and waiting...whether it's fresh in the crock pot or leftover in the fridge and all I have to do is heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Steel Cut Oatmeal for the Crock Pot

www.recipezaar.com Recipe #10110147
by papergoddess

3-4 servings 6¼ hours cook time <5 min prep

1 cup steel cut oats (DO NOT substitute old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats)
4 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, prunes, apricots, dates) (optional)

Serve with
milk, to taste
sugar, to taste
cinnamon, to taste
maple syrup, to taste

Place all ingredients in a 2 quart slow cooker. (If you want to make a smaller amount please use a smaller crock pot or crockette. This won't work in a 6 quart cooker).

Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.

It might form a "crust" around the outside. Just scrape it down with a spoon and stir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do I get to see the snow?

INMEMORYOFONLINE.COM said...

thanks for the great recipe.