Sunday, January 20, 2008

Palak Paneer results

My kids are crazy. They completely and utterly baffle me sometimes. When we have gorgeous 65F degree days, they want to be inside sitting in front of the TV. When it is freezing cold and 32F degrees outside, they want to be out playing in it for hours upon end! How much sense does that make? They had a pretty fun day and were able to play with a new toy that was given to all of them by Santa. I'll post photos below.

My palak paneer turned out pretty well this evening. I'm posting the recipe below. There are a few things I'll do differently next time...mainly, I will NOT use whole corriander seeds (these are the gross little things that you spread all over corned beef before you cook it...yuck...I hate biting into one of these things when I eat food!). This recipe is good, maybe 3 out of 5 smacks, but it is lacking something that I cannot quite put my finger on...it definitely has potential and I'll make it again, that's for sure. I put this over Japanese sticky rice as I didn't have any basmati in the cabinet. Yummy!

Here's the recipe:

Palak Paneer (Indian Fresh Spinach with Paneer Cheese)
Recipe #2534827 by Sue L

6 servings 1 hour 15 min prep

2 (5 ounce) bags baby spinach (I used 2 boxes frozen, thawed and drained/squeezed well)
1 large onion
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces paneer cheese, cut into cubes
1/4 cup heavy cream

Cut spinach into shreds and cook in 3 Tbsp. water until tender; remove from heat.

Saute onion, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger in 1-2 tbsp. ghee or oil until onion is translucent.

Then add garlic and chopped tomatoes, and reduce heat. Cook this briefly and slowly blend in yogurt a little at a time to prevent curdling.

Add coriander, garam masala, paprika, and salt, mixing well.

Add cooked spinach with liquid, cover and simmer on low heat for approximately 20-30 minutes.

Remove from heat.

Take half of spinach mixture and puree in food processor or blender, and return to mixture and stir. (I pureed all of my spinach mixture because I wanted a smoother texture)

Slowly stir in heavy cream, and heat through on low heat.

Add paneer cubes.

Serve.


Photos:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many readers of her blog agree that Shannon's dinner looks like it already came out the other end before it was even eaten? ;-)

Debbie B said...

I couldn't agree with you more Lori. I have no idea how she even considered eathing it never mind making it again!

Shannon said...

What is wrong with the two of you? You wouldn't know good food if it landed in front of your face! Lori: like my grandparents would say, "You need to have your tongue scraped." Palak paneer...yummmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Shan. You may be one of my best friends, but in this case, I'm siding with Lori!