Monday, October 29, 2007

Provençal Garlic Soup

What a bust. I had high hopes for this soup. From "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook." 3 cans of chicken broth, 1 can of tomato paste, 1 large onion, **4** HEADS of garlic...cooked in the crock on Low for 6-7 hours. I took one taste. Bleh! It smelled so good. So full of promise. I even had Steven stop for some crusty bread to eat with it. I guess you win some and lose some. I forced almost a bowl of it down my gullet...so Daddy...be warned...you might not want to come visit for another week or two. (Just remember, that garlic I ate back in the early '90's was only *1* bulb. This was 4!)

I'm on a mission to control my house again. I found my kitchen counter today! It's still there. Amazing. Tomorrow, the family room...after groceries, that is. I'm thinking I'll go out for a bike ride during my 45 minutes of free time. How fun is that? *I* have my own bike!

Yesterday we: went for a walk in the woods beside our house. Delaney has named it "The Enchanted Forest" because everywhere we looked we saw "fairy arches" (bent over young trees), fairy houses (splits in tree trunks), and moss covered ground. We walked for about an hour with the kids. Probably a good mile, mile and a half. I was proud of them for not complaining too much. After that, there was playing outside in the leaves then a bike ride just before dinner. It was a big day but everyone was very happy when they went to bed last night.

Today: more to be proud about. Delaney came home with a paper explaining the "Accelerated Reader" program. She took a test and appears to be reading in between 1st and 2nd grade levels. Each week she'll be bringing home a new book to read for a few days, then she'll be tested on her comprehension and retention of the story. She also had new homework for the "Enrichment Program", which is another gifted program they have at her school. Tonight's was math. I was happy to have the cheat sheet to help me along! She, however, got it done with flying colours.

And that's the news of the day. I'm knitting away here. Trying to keep warm. It's going to be in the 40's tonight. Brrrr! I wanted winter to come but I never dreamed we'd go from 85F to 60F (daytime highs) in just a few days.

No comments: