Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A lot of nothing...

That's what's going on at my house these days. Man, has it been hot here. I think it was 99F yesterday and close to the same today. We swam yesterday and I did some laundry since Auntie Lori sent down two boxes of kids clothes for us. Today, we took Henry to the vet, ran to Wal-Mart for some groceries, and swam some more around mid-day. The pool is looking a little bit cleaner (another issue I've been struggling with and will save for a new post perhaps!) but still isn't "sparkling". I'm almost to the point where I think I need to go to the pool store up the street and see if they can get us straightened out. About an hour ago, there was thunder, thanks to Thor, and I rushed the kids out the door so we could walk to dog before the rain came. Alas, NO RAIN. Again. Grrrr. There are still a few big clouds in the sky so maybe there's hope. Anyway, I've heard rumours that there will be rainfall in the next day or two.

And on the experimental front...

The Great Kitty Litter Experiment is not going well, I must say. A bit of disappointment here. The Kitty Litter is helping to hide some of the barfy smell but it's not completely working as I can still smell the smell when I'm close to the couch itself. Gosh, I really really really hate to kick this sofa to the curb but I don't know what else to do.

The Mamoth Sunflowers are growing fast. I will try to get photos of them in the next day or two. I think there are about 20 coming up in the yard. Woo-hoo! Everything else I've planted is still alive, too. Amazing. =)

Here are today's photos. The white cabinet shown on it's side was my major project on Sunday. It is called a "Hoosier" (or Hoosier style) cabinet. It belonged to my grandmother Schlosser and I've waited forever to have it in my home. Auntie Lori has kept it for me since my grandparents passed away in 1996. The top is white porcelain enamel and is dated 1940 underneath! I painstakingly scraped paint from it for hours (while my dad cut the hedge and Kathy watched the kids - thank you both!!!) only to find out by my dad that I scraped off too much paint and now I need to sand it down a bit before I can re-paint it. I still have the drawers to finish, too. So...it is sitting in our garage/playroom until the temps drop a bit and I can move it outside to finish up. I'm looking forward to it making it's way into my kitchen where it will become my baking station (flours and sugars in the bottom part of the cabinet, Kitchen Aid mixer and Bread Machine on top). Kids: I originaly took the one of Tinna at the table because she looked like such a little flapper girl. Then the other two wanted their photos taken as well. William was giving me the old stink eye, silly boy. Dessert: I'm getting pretty good at making these "Freestyle Tarts". The one in the photo is peach and blueberry and we are just waiting for dinner to get here so we can tuck in!


Debbie said...

This looks great. Can you send me the recipe please!!!

Shannon said...

Is this Debbie B or Debbie W or Debbie from CA??? Since I know three of you, I need more to go on! Anyway, here it is!

Freestyle Fruit Tart

3 cups sliced fruit (original recipe calls for plums)
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 of a block)
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust (the kind you just unroll and bake)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon/sugar mixture

Pre-heat oven to 450F and unroll pie crust in 10" glass pie plate. Spread cream cheese in a 6 inch circle in the middle of the pie shell.

Cut fruit and combine with the sugar and 2 Tbsps flour. Add fruit to the top of the cream cheese. Fold the pie shell over to cover about 2 inches of the fruit.

Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!!! Yummmy!

Debbie said...

This is your sister-in-law and I cannot wait to make this

Shannon said...

Hahaha! You are too funny. I made one of these today (minus the cream cheese) with our freshly picked blackberries. YUMMMMY!!! Gotta love Pillsbury.