Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hemangiopericytoma

And now you know what is wrong with Henry. You can read more here. Basically, hemangiopericytoma is a cancerous growth that usually does not spread to other parts of the body. (This form of cancer also occurs in humans and is considered a bone cancer) In general, it recurs in the same area where the original tumor showed up. Most vets keep operating until the dog cannot physically handle another operation or amputation is suggested if the tumor is on a limb. Radiation helps control regrowth but costs anywhere from $4,000 - $6,000...not to mention the side effects that go along with that. The only other option is no treatment until the dog is so disfigured and uncomfortable that it needs to be euthanised. What are we going to do? We don't know. For now we are going to enjoy every day with Henry and hope it doesn't recur for a very long time.

And on the topic of money...I started looking at pre-schools for the twins today. The cheapest I've found so far is $80.00 / week / child...but that was this past year's prices and the lady wasn't sure if costs were going up or not. Plus, cheaper child-care is not always better. I want my kids to go to a place with a real curriculum, not just a day care. They can have free day care at home. So, it's looking like the twins might not get the same benefits Delaney had of starting pre-school at 3. I might have to create my own curriculum and be sure to fit in time every day to work with them (maybe while Laney is in school we can have "school", too). I have a few more places to call and see before we make a decision.

I'm sick here...so are the kids but they don't seem to be as poorly as me. Coughs, runny noses. I have a sore throat from coughing so much that I'm completely hoarse now. Fun, fun. So, as I write this, the kids are picking up their toys in the playroom and Steve is doing the dishes. What a treat. He actually told me to go to bed...and I just might!

No comments: