Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Where's Waldo...

Once upon a time, I had a fascination (still do, honestly) with "Where's Waldo" - the books are what I loved best, but even to this day I have a clear plastic wand full of goo and glitter that houses a tiny hiding Waldo. I remember spending hours with my college friends searching for him. Anything to put off studying a bit longer, right? In grad school, I sported a Waldo pin on my backpack. I eventually lost it. My roommate Tony said to me "Well, now you can have a REAL "Where's Waldo" search!" And I never did find the darn thing.

So, anyway...Delaney is now loving Waldo. Every night before bed we spend a few minutes flat out on her bedroom floor looking for him and his friends...Wenda, Odlaw, the Wizard...not to mention Woof and his lost bone. Just a few minutes ago, I was curious as to whether there might be another Waldo pin like mine available on the internet. No such luck, but I must say I have seen my glitter goo stick going as high as $30 on ebay! I remember being told not to waste the money on it but now I can see it was an investment. So, back to the story...searching for "Where's Waldo" on Google. Lo, and behold, what do I find out but that way back in the day (early '90s), "Where's Waldo" was a BANNED BOOK!!!!! The same year as Madonna's SEX book, which would be the same year that I was a grad student at Pitt and losing my own "Where's Waldo" pin. Hmmm. Do you think one of my fellow SLIS mates stole him from me because he was banned? Nah!!! That's crazy, isn't it? Librarians don't support banned books, do they? (Do they???)

Sooo...we got the van back tonight. The dollar damage turned out to be just over $200, but due to my dad's prompting, we have also entered a complaint with Honda. 3 months past our warranty, the windows have hardly been used. Give me a break, for the first 2 years we lived in FL. How many times do you think we opened windows in 100F 100% humidity??? And with three kids in the back and a mom who hates wind in her hair, they are just never down. Absurd to think the motor broke from overuse.

Temps are cooling off. Highs of 53F tonight. 80F tomorrow and 70F by Saturday. Just in time for the week-end but that also means it will be too cold for the beach. Bah!

Anyway, I'm off to read more of Independent People, even though probably at this point in time, I should save it for the cross-country car trip.

4 comments:

taytytoo said...

do you by any chance still have your waldo glitter wand? my daughter is 5 and just discovered where's waldo. i also had this wand in college, but don't know what happened to it & would love one to keep my daughter busy in the car. if you still have it & would be interested in selling it, let me know!

(maybe one of my roommates stole it---kind of like your pin...LOL!)

D Michael said...

I'm also looking for a Where's Waldo glitter wand if you're interested in selling it.

D Michael said...

just send me an email

Shannon said...

I'm not interested in selling. Thanks!