Friday, May 11, 2007

Today...

For anyone who thinks all I do is sit around eating bonbons like Peg Bundy, here's what I did today...

I was up at 6am because someone was breaking something (it sounded like wood) and putting out their trash. It's been hot so all of our windows were open and I'm a light sleeper anyway. Henry was growling and barking and I realized I was also cold. My alarm was set for 6:20. I could have used those extra 20 minutes, but instead, I had to wake up to that noise. Grumpy, I showered, and then got Delaney up at 6:40. The twins were already awake so I made them stay in bed to read and play while I walked the dog and Steven showered. Everyone ate and said good-bye to Delaney and Steven as they drove away at 7:40.

8:00 - 10:00 Played with twins and did two loads of laundry. Fed kids their snack at 10:00. Straightened up the house a bit.

10:30 - gave twins a bath then more playing/TV until we had to leave at 12:00 to pick up Delaney at school.

12:30 - back to the house to meet Steven. We immediately headed out to the post office...then to eat (Burger King - yuck, but the kids like to play there)...then to the barber to get haircuts for William and Steven.

2:45ish - headed to Borders. Spent all of the gift cards we received for birthdays on books for the cross-country drive. Books include:

My Little Pony Surprize Ink Game Book
Dora Surprize Ink Game Book
Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus (easy reader)
Dora: It's Sharing Day
Strawberry Shortcake: The Sweet Treats Carnival
My Little Pony: A Very Pony Place
Good Night, Gorilla (which we do not own - amazing!)
Arthur's First Kiss
My First Mother Goose (blue book with a handle - I just saw this or I would have said NO. We have about 10 versions of Mother Goose already. The illustrations in this one are beautiful so I guess that is why the twins were attracted to it.)
Flower Fairies Dress Up Sticker Book
Princess ABCs and 123s (includes a CD for listening)
Ramona the Pest (MY pick. I'm thinking maybe with a captive audience I can convince them to listen a bit even though there are no pictures. I think Delaney will like this one as it is about Ramona starting Kindergarten.)

I couldn't find a damn thing to buy for myself at Borders. Delaney kept following me around and I couldn't feel love for anything I looked at. Bought coffee because I was starting to fade.

3:30ish - Steven decides he wants to take the kids to "Inflatable World". This is a parking lot filled with bounce houses and bounce slides, etc. William didn't have socks so we had to turn around and go to Target. I ran in and picked up socks and a few other necessities - ie, bottled water and a BOOK. Because, you know, I could not seem to find one in the damn BOOKSTORE. I grabbed Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking". (Can I just say, 50 pages into it...WOW! I can see why it was an award winner. I don't want to put it down.)

So, back to the bouncy place. Prices: $15/child, $12 for military, $5/non-paying "rider" and children under 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult. So, for us, $12x3 and $5 for Steven, even though he is not jumping! I walked over to Bed Bath & Beyond and dreamed about my new house.

Kids were done bouncing around 5:40 and we called in a take away order from the Indian restaurant. I got saag chicken, garlic naan, bori porkas, and kheer (which I'll eat tomorrow for breakfast). The kids got Subway sandwiches.

Now it's 7:30 and all the kids are out in the playroom. It's almost bedtime. I have to go clean up the kitchen. Tomorrow morning I'm going down the street to an unexpected estate sale (unexpected in that I didn't know about it before today and it wasn't planned into my schedule). Hope to have some good finds there but who knows. Delaney has already asked me if she can have tea and a pop tart for breakfast. She's on a tea kick. I refuse to make it for her during the week because she pokes around enough as it is and adding a wait for tea to cool just won't work with our morning schedule.

2 comments:

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

re.: Year of Magical Thinking. My librarian co-worker and I were just talking about this the other day. Again. We keep meaning to read it. I'll be interested to hear your "book review." ;-) Only--what--13 days to go?!

Shannon said...

Make it your next read. Seriously! I can't stop. I'm about half-way through already...and I'm a slow reader. Don't know if I will review it here. It's touched me in a lot of different ways, made me think about how short life is and those I've lost (and miss terribly), and now I have even more respect for Joan Didion than I did before.

12 days and a "wake up call"...but who's counting?!