Sunday, April 29, 2007

Chicken Souvlaki Wraps

It's been awhile since I've made any new recipes. I discovered this one on recipezaar.com and it just sounded so good to me that I couldn't resist it. It actually turned out pretty darn well and I'm definitely going to make it again.

The recipe given is for one wrap. I tripled the recipe for the chicken. For the sauce, I used a complete cup of yogurt and adjusted the other ingredients, too...so what would that be...quadrupling it or double doubling it? Turns out we had *way* too much sauce. If you use it conservatively, you can probably make the sauce recipe as is and still serve 2 people or just double it to 1/2 cup and you'd have plenty for guests. Also, I used traditional pita instead of the tortilla wrap that was called for. What Greek would eat his food on Mexican tortillas??? The tortilla sounded very unnatural to me.

CHICKEN SOUVLAKI WRAP
Recipe #222467
by Anme

CHICKEN

3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 boneless skinless chicken breast

Combine all chicken ingredients in a bag and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.

TZATZIKI SAUCE

1/4 cup cucumbers, shredded
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 small onion, minced

Combine all ingredients and place in fridge to let flavors "mellow" for at least 2 hours.

ASSEMBLY

1 whole wheat tortilla
tomatoes, sliced
2 lettuce leaves
2 Tbsp feta cheese


1. Remove chicken from bag and grill or broil until done (about 4 minutes per side).

2. Cut chicken into strips and place on tortilla with lettuce, tomato, feta and spread on sauce.

3. Roll up and enjoy!

No comments: