Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mexico...loom...photos...new chicken recipe

Well...just when we thought we'd have a few days to do something touristy here in CA (ie, a trip to Tiajuana, Mexico)...mother nature pulls a fast one on us. The temperature this morning when I awoke (9:00 am - *I* had a nice lie in!) was 40F and not only that, but Delaney had diarrhea. Not a one time thing, but probably twenty times today. She is to the point where she cries when I wipe her bum. Poor girl. I feel so bad for her but there's nothing to do except keep her hydrated. So, with tomorrow being our last day home before school starts again, it is highly doubtful that we are going to make it down to Mexico. Maybe we can squeeze it in on a week-end after Steve's classes start or maybe not. Maybe it's just not worth the effort and someone is trying to tell us that!

I finished up the shawl last night. I think the hardest part of it was putting on the fringe. It wasn't difficult, just terribly boring to continually measure and cut each piece of yarn. This afternoon I started a hat for Tinna. I might even get it completed tonight since I'll be in front of the TV watching EastEnders anyway.

And finally a few new photos...




William showing off on his "Yo Baby" board that Grammy & Pappy bought him for Christmas.




More "Yo Baby" boarding...




A Penn State beer bottle cozy that I received for Christmas.




The finished shawl in the sunshine.




Three doves on a wire that I took a liking to when I was out for my afternoon walk with Henry.




Life springing from concrete...a tiny Palmetto plant growing out of the sidewalk in our neighborhood.


I forgot to put in this recipe on my first pass through blogworld. Old Country French Roast Chicken. I got it from one of the newsgroups I belong to. I made it tonight and it sure was yummy (even though I could have used a bit more garlic...one day soon I'm going to try that 20 clove garlic chicken recipe that exists somewhere...yummm)


Old Country French Roast Chicken

This chicken may be served hot from the oven, at room temperature, or cold so you can even make it the day ahead if you have company.

Serves about 4

1 3 pound chicken (I used about 4.5)
Kosher or grey salt
pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. each rosemary, basil and thyme (I used dried leaves and kind of mashed them with my motar & pestle a little before adding to the chicken)
2 T. olive oil
butter

Season the cavity of the bird with about 1 T. butter, salt and pepper.
Place the bird in the pan.
Drizzle the olive oil over the bird and rub all over well.
Salt, pepper and sprinkle herbs over the chicken. Place a split garlic clove in the cavity and the rest of the garlic into the pan.

Bake at 425 about 1 hour, basting frequently. (I always bake my chickens at 350F for about an hour and a half - basting occasionally and checking to be sure the internal temperature of the bird has reached at least 175F before considering it "done".)

No comments: