Saturday, January 13, 2007

The loom...my addiction...

About 2 weeks before Christmas I went to Joann's (craft and fabric store) looking for a Knifty Knitter loom because I had seen it reviewed somewhere and wanted to try it. With the madness of the holidays and such, I didn't get around to trying it until earlier this week. I didn't really have much faith in it, I thought it would be boring...endless rows of wrapping yarn and lifting stitches, etc. Real women knit with needles, this loom was almost an embarassing child's toy. Turns out, it was easier than I thought and more fun than I thought and very, very relaxing. I made Delaney's hat in 2 evenings...and we are talking time that I normally sit in bed and watch TV...not day time spent ignoring the kids or anything! So, it's really quick work. Two nights ago I started in on a shawl for a dear friend. I don't think she or her husband read this blog so I think it will come as a surprise to her when she receives it...at least I hope so! Below are some photos I took yesterday afternoon as the sunlight came into the room where I was working (Ok, ok, yes I confess I DID work on it during the day yesterday. The twins were napping and I was sitting with Delaney while she played kids games on PBSkids.org!)

I love the colours in this shawl. I might make another for myself. It looks very rich and luxurious. I bought the yarn at Wal-Mart. The dark brown strand is made by Red Heart..."Red Heart Plush" in Chocolate...the colored yarn is Lion Brand "Moonlight Mohair" in Jungle. While I'm normally not a fan of acrylic yarns, I must say they work much better on these looms than they work on knitting needles.




My loom with the project on it.




Closer view of the colours.

No comments: