Monday, January 29, 2007

In the pot last night...

Was cabbage soup. Yumm yum! Not much else to report. Yesterday was such a quiet day I can't even remember what we did. Below is the soup recipe...I got it from a Jewish Food newsgroup on yahoo.

Judy's Cabbage Soup

6 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)*
3 Tbsp oil
2 chopped onions
2 carrots diced
3 stalks celery sliced
1 small turnip, peeled and diced
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
2 tsp dried thyme*
Salt and pepper
Cooked pasta or potatoes*
Saute vegetables and add to boiling broth. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Add cabbage and thyme; cook 15 mnutes more.
Add salt and pepper and pasta or potatoes.


*Here's what I did: didn't have broth on hand so I used 2 chicken bouillon cubes, 1 large vegetable bouillon cube and 1 pack beef flavor from a pack of ramen. 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil. For the thyme: I could only find ground thyme in my cabinet (this morning I found the dried leaves - go figure...my organizational skills still amaze me) so I used about 1/2 tsp. It was a little too much...next time I'll try 1/4 tsp. I boiled up some small red potatoes until they were fork tender (about 25 minutes). When the soup was finished, I sliced the potatoes and added them at that time. I served this with some beer batter bread (a mix) my friend Sue sent me for Christmas. The kids ate mac-n-cheese with tuna in it. Everyone was happy.

No comments: