Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The entry in which I explain how to cook a turkey...

Liz P, I see you walking away!!! Get back over here and pay attention!

For starters and off the subject, we are preparing here for an onslaught of stomach flu. About 5 of the children from Laney's school were out today due to vomiting. One of her little friends had to be taken to the ER last night because she could not stop throwing up. One of the boys in Laney's class threw up today during school. YAY! What can I say...I'm as prepared as I can be but I really hope this year won't be the "remember the Thanksgiving we spent throwing up as a family" year!

Now, for the turkey lesson: I will admit, Martha-wannabe that I am, I never cooked a turkey by myself until last year when I met a woman in the Cash-n-Carry who told me how to do it. Usually Steven took over that job when Thanksgiving rolled around. Anyway, if it is late and you STILL don't know how to do it for tomorrow...here it is...

First up, make the "Turkey Tea". This is the brine in which you will soak the turkey tonight and get it good and juicy for tomorrow.

Turkey Tea

2 49-1/2 oz cans Swanson's Chicken Broth (this is the equivalent of 7 14 oz cans)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
~3 Tbsp whole allspice berries
~1 1/2 Tbsp peppercorns

Brew like a tea
Allow to cool and refrigerate to keep cold.

Then night before Thanksgiving, put your turkey in a big bucket or clean garbage bin (I bought one just for this purpose and we sill line the can with a bag). Pack the turkey in ice. Pour "Turkey Tea" over the turkey and cover the top of bin with foil. Let sit overnight.

Butter your turkey as normal on Thanksgiving Day. Bake at 450F for 20 minutes then cover the turkey with a foil tent and cook the rest of the time at 325F (baste periodically and cook until internal temperature reaches 180-185F). Don't forget, Martha us taught that we should put the legs of the bird into the oven first!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted a comment in the wrong place (see above). If I can't handle comments how would I ever make an edible turkey! -Liz P.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.