Friday, November 03, 2006

The BEST dinner ever!

Has anyone besides me noticed that my blog is starting to revolve around food? Time to check the scale...I lost 10 pounds after moving to CA but now that the pool water is a cool 65F, I need to find another activity...my jeans are getting tight again and just walking the dog 2 or 3 times a day isn't cutting it! At any rate, I cooked the BEST DINNER EVER last night. Cooler temps = comfort food. Here's what we ate and it was so simple to make...

Shake-n-Bake (Ranch & Herb flavor) chicken strips
Fresh, steamed broccoli
Corn on the cob (for the kids as they don't like "trees")
Roasted herb potatoes

The chicken strips are easy easy easy...cut chicken breasts into long strips about 1-1 1/2 inches wide...coat lightly with mayo (I know it sounds sooo gross so just close your eyes and rub it all over with your hands...you won't taste it and it seals in the juices better than using plain water). Shake. Bake @400F for 20 minutes or until done.

The inspiration for this meal came yesterday at Albertson's when I noticed they had "mini" or "baby" red potatoes...just like the ones we ate in Iceland...not the big American ones. Yay! I cut those into quarter's and spread them out on a jelly roll pan. Drizzle ~1/4 cup of veg oil over them, sprinkle with Kosher salt and garlic powder. Then sprinkle with Herbes de Provence and stir them around a bit. Bake at 400F for ~20 minutes until they are just beginning to brown and are tender when poked with a fork. Below is the Herbes de Provence recipe that I used. I make it ahead of time and store it in an old glass artichoke jar in my spice cabinet so it's always available when I need it.


Make Your Own Herbes de Provence
by Ferne Arfin on about.com


The classic mixture, herbes de provence, is widely available -- even on line. But if you make your own you can adjust the flavors to suit your own taste. It's easy to do and can add a real taste of Provence to your cooking.

INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground rosemary
1 tsp summer savory*
1/2 tsp lavender (optional but traditional)**
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried oregano
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Crush slightly with a pestle or the back of a spoon. Store in an airtight container. Rub into meat,chicken or fish for a dry rub or combine with olive oil for a marinade.


*I couldn't find this so I omitted it.
**Flowers in my food...YUCK.

No comments: