Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mmmmm Mmmm Good! Taco Soup!

The best stuff in the world. Recipe courtesy of my Great Aunt Marie.

TACO SOUP

1 lb ground turkey
2 cans pinto beans, undrained
1 lg. can diced tomatoes (or two regular soup-size cans)
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
2 packs taco seasoning
1 large chopped onion
1 can beef broth

Tortilla Chips
Shredded Colby/Jack cheese

Fry meat & onions (see below for my adaptations). Drain. Add all other ingredients in top list and heat together at least 20 minutes. Put chips in bottom of bowl, put soup on top of that and add cheese to the very top, per personal desire. TUCK IN!!! I add a hit or two (or three) of Cholula or Tabasco sauce.

Because the store brand taco seasonings are too spicy for my kiddos, I season as below and omit the "2 packages of Taco Seasoning"...thanks Betty Lou!

1 sm/med onion
1/2-3/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. minced (prepared) garlic (mine is probably closer to 1 Tbsp, I just grab a regular spoon and throw a bunch in since we love garlic)
Kosher salt to taste

Cook the seasonings with meat and onion. Add all other ingredients, heat, and taste. I almost always have to add the same amount of cumin and chili powder to the soup again before it is perfect. I buy Tostitos "Scoops" chips...eating it with the chips as spoons is more fun that way!

No comments: