Thursday, September 28, 2006

Delaney and the boys...

Delaney met the love of her life about a month before we left Florida. His name is Austin and he was all she spoke about for weeks. She said they agreed to get married when they were as old as me. She carried around a photo of the two of them even after we moved and we mailed a letter to him via snail mail. Lately, she's been talking about "Gabriel" a school-age boy at her new school and not so much about Austin. Out of sight, out of mind, I thought. So, I questioned her about it.

Her: Mommy, I love Gabriel but he doesn't like me.
Me: Don't you want to marry Austin anymore?
Her: No, I love Gabriel now.
Me: Should I write a letter to Austin's mommy and tell her you don't want to marry him any longer?
Her: Yes.
Me: Poor Austin! Delaney, he will be so sad.
Her: (nothing but a shoulder shrug - heartless to the core!)

I was telling Steve about it tonight at dinner.

Me: Delaney doesn't want to marry Austin anymore.
Steve: Wow, really? Why don't you love Austin?
Delaney: I love Gabriel now. He's in school-age.
Me: Do you get to play with Gabriel now? (because regular school is in session)
Delaney: No, he plays on the other side of the fence with school-age but I still love him.
Me: (singing) "Delaney and Gabriel sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G..."
Delaney: (plugs her ears and screams)
Me: Poor Austin. Don't you love Austin anymore, Delaney?
Delaney: No. (here's the kicker) I HAVE LOTS OF BOYS IN MY LIFE THAT I LIKE!

OY!!!!!!! She is 4 1/2 years old! What does she know about boys and love? I have a faint recollection that I was the same way growing up. ;) The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, yeah? Too funny, I think we are going to be in for a rough ride during the teen years!

No comments: