Saturday, July 22, 2006

It's hot!

The thermometer inside our house has finally gone over 100F. The past week or so, temps have been warm but bearable and we haven't felt the need to complain much. Today, we finally reached our breaking point and installed an air conditioning window unit. It was offered by our neighbors, they said they couldn't fit it into their windows. Steven has found a way to make it fit in ours! We put it in the play room...not that we spend much time in there but because it seemed like the best location for containing the cool air. Also, it is a room that we all can use and we all can sleep in if need be. The kids really hate being stuck in there but maybe this will change their minds?!

I think almost all of our boxes have finally been opened. Yesterday, we sorted through sweaters and winter items. We know it gets cool here so we don't want to get rid of too much. Besides the fact that we are only here for 1 year and then will head somewhere...and who knows where! We hate the thought of having to buy new again if we get back to the east coast.

Today I went through my closet. I bet I got rid of 20% of it...I had done a pretty good look-through when we lived in FL. Today I was able to let go of most of the clothes I bought during grad school. Can you believe I've been dragging all of that around since 1993??? No more guilt. It's time for it to go!

We are off tonight to Target. The boy has fallen out of his bed twice now so we MUST find a safety rail for him. I guess those odds aren't too terrible...twice in, what, three or four weeks? I put a pillow on the floor to cushion him in case he did fall and he did again last night. He is so active when he sleeps. Sometimes when I look in at him, his head is at the foot of the bed or he is completely sideways. He is still so little and much smaller than his sisters. He is trying very hard to swim right now, I bet he is dreaming about swimming at night and that is why he moves so much!

Steve starts classes full-time on Monday. He thought he would be having 1 class that would last from 9-12. At the last orientation session on Friday, the professors pulled out a second syllabus and said "And now, for your second class..." so he will attending school Monday through Friday from 9-5. Bummer for me as I will have to juggle getting Delaney to and from school with the babies every day. Her school goes from 8:30 until 2:30, I think. 2:30 is probably the WORST time of day for me to have to pick her up since the twins nap from 2-4:30 or 5. Ugh. I am planning on talking to the teacher to see what goes on after lunchtime...if it is just lunch/nap/playtime, I will go get her around 1 or 1:30. Hopefully they do all of the curriculum in the mornings!

It's been pretty quiet around here this week. Well, we did visit IKEA Thursday. I don't know how I survived without that place for the last 3 years. OMG, the kids have the best time when we go there! Delaney checked into the kids play room while we shopped. The babies played upstairs in the kids department on the slide and the chairs/toys because they are too little to go into the play room. After about an hour, we went back to get Delaney and then we all had lunch together in their little cafe. Even the eatery has a play area for the kids. For less than $20, we can all eat AND be happy! Imagine that. I know Delaney would be happy if we went there every day. I get to walk around and dream. Steve and I have different tastes for decorating so I'll probably never get the furniture I want from there, but who knows what will happen when we get out of the Navy in 10 years!

That's about all for now. Maybe I'll actually have something interesting to post tomorrow.

No comments: