Thursday, July 23, 2009

On the wheel...

Summer and kids have rather taken me away from this blog. Not sure when I will return to a more normal posting schedule...maybe in September when they all go back to school.

I've been knitting socks and spinning up some wool from my stash. The socks are Opal Hundertwasser in "Winterbild" or #625. The yarn is lovely. On my first go I hated the toes and made both socks (doing two-at-a-time) too large so I frogged them. (rip it, rip it) Started again with a smaller needle and much rounder toe and am almost to the point where I'll start the heels. Very happy now.

I finished spinning my "Inside the Glacier" Falkland Top that I got from Vilde at the Vildish Twist on Etsy. I haven't taken it off the spool yet but I'm hoping I got a few hundred yards and might possibly be able to make a hat out of it. This afternoon I dug around the stash for awhile and decided to try my "Party In A Bag" that I bought at MD Sheel & Wool back in May. Ugh. What a pain in the butt this stuff is. It isn't a nice tidy top but rather a bunch of batts that were thrown into bins that people ran their hands through during the fest. It's going in all directions, falls apart everywhere, etc. I'm really not enjoying it much, but I do like seeing the colours come up in the singles.

Ready for the week-end here. Wishing for rain but so far we aren't getting any. The cucumbers are done producing, we've eaten two eggplants from the garden and have about 5 more on the bushes.

Here are the photos of the frogged socks and my latest spinning efforts...

Party in a Bag singles

The actual "Party"...not very fun!

Inside the Glacier

Opal Winterbild socks...this was the first pair that no longer exist. Just wanted to show the beautiful colour changes with this skein of yarn.

It took me a day or two to find someone who could help me make a nice heel on toe-up socks. I was very proud of this pretty little heel...will be doing it again in the new pair!

4 comments:

vlb5757 said...

Is that Eye of Partridge? I love that heel. The socks look really good and it looks like they will fit better than the first pair you frogged. The Party in a Bag, looks like a nightmare. I am with you; I would not be purchasing that ever again. Good luck. The Glacer looks really nice and consistant. Nice job!

Kathy said...

I want you to show me how you spin! The socks look great!

Shannon said...

V - not sure if it is true eye of partridge. On the right side just k1p1 across to the gap, ssk, k1, turn. On the wrong side purl all the way back to the gap p2tog, p1, turn. That's all there is to it.

Kathy: my wheel is very portable. I will bring it along next time we come to your house.

Thanks for the compliments, ladies!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

The heel looks awesome. I only know one heel - perhaps I'll get around to learning some other types someday. I have never tried spinning - but I see that in my future too...