Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rebecca's Garlicky Tortellini, Spinach and Tomato soup!



OMG, yummmy! I got this recipe from the beautiful Rebecca. She completely rocks! I made this for lunch yesterday. The end of the recipe says it serves "4 happy people" but in our house, it serves 2. I had 1 1/2 bowls, Steven ate the rest. I served it with a loaf of Italian bread from Kroger. I can tell you right now, this will become a fall/winter staple in our house!

GARLICKY TORTELLINI, SPINACH, AND TOMATO SOUP

2 Tbsp butter
9 cloves garlic, chopped (use fresh- it really makes it!)
4c. chicken broth, plus 1/4c. water
7oz. cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen - I used fresh "Buitoni Portabella Mushroom & Cheese")
14oz. canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
10oz. spinach, washed & stemmed; coarsely chopped (hint- just buy the bagged baby spinach!)
8 to 10 leaves basil, coarsely chopped (You can use dried)
grated parmesan

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over med-high heat.
Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the broth and bring to a boil.
Add the tortellini and cook halfway, about 5 minutes for frozen, less for fresh.
Add the tomatoes and their liquid, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook just until pasta is tender.
Stir in the spinach and basil, cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Serves 4 happy people.

I didn't do a whole lot yesterday. I had big plans but sitting around kind of got the best of me. I ran to the store for the soup ingredients and milk. Cooked soup for lunch. Kids played Wii with their dad most of the day. Delaney went to school. (how messed up is that...Steven and the twins were off because of Columbus Day but Delaney had to go to school?) Chandra and Izzy came over around 2:30 and the kids all played. Us girls just sat around and talked Halloween and crafting. We looked at some photos Chandra took in Hawaii and talked about places we'd like to hike...like Mount Washington, NH.

This morning, we (me and Chandra, that is) are actually going out for a long walk while our kids are at school...I need to break my feet in a bit, she wants to see the trail across the street. It's been quite a few years since my hiking boots have seen any use. I'm so happy to have met someone with similar interests, kids the exact same age (well, she only has one) and the same schedule as me. It's really fun being around her.

Later this afternoon Ash and Akemi are coming over. Ash and I are both making the same socks so we are going to provide emotional support to each other while we start the heel section. Wish us luck!

Below are a few photos from the week-end...

Steven spraying the kids with the power washer (crazy kids!!!)

Swinging

Swinging

Swinging

Beautyberry...isn't the colour just gorgeous?!?!

Another type of mushroom that lives in the woods beside our house. These are photos of two separate mushrooms.

1 comment:

Rebecca* said...

I'm so glad you like it!