Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Things I've forgotten to tell you...

First, Tinna started swimming underwater and completely on her own on Sunday evening. FINALLY!!! Now everyone can swim and we're having lots of fun retrieving objects from the bottom of the pool. (not that it's that deep, mind you...only 36") Here's a photo of all of the kids swimming...


Second, I made a GREAT recipe last Saturday and I'm posting it here. My brand of olive oil was a little too strong, I'll have to look for something a of higher quality, but all-in-all it was wonderful. Served with "Scoops" tortilla chips...even the kids went crazy for this one!

White Bean Dip with Rosemary
Courtesy of Cottage Living magazine May/June 2008

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (1/4 cup was almost too much for ours, I didn't drizzle any extra)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (straight from my own garden!)
1 small garlic clove, minced
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a serving bowl, and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Serve with a sliced baguette or crudites. Garnish, if desired.

Third, ever since I DVR'd the "Bee Movie", William has watched it almost every morning upon waking...and we've started calling bees "pollen jocks" or as Delaney says "Pollen Jacques". I captured this one on film last night...



We didn't get a whole lot accomplished yesterday...I did tidy and vacuum. Steven got home later than expected and I didn't get the painting started because the twinkies were pestering me. I took all of the kids out to the pool while Steven changed out some electrical outlets (they were beige, I want white. I have a thing for WHITE and there are too many colours in this house!!! The two outlets near the sinks in our bathrooms weren't GFCI and with three kids, I really feel that those are necessary.) Hopefully we'll get the painting started today.

Today is Delaney's last full day of school. It's her end of the year party and she's pretty excited for summer break to start. I can guarantee you that she will be bored out of her mind by Monday and asking when school will start again. The library summer reading program doesn't even start until the 23rd so we have a bit of a wait for that. I took a photo of her last night and am really noticing how her face is starting to thin out now. No more chubby baby face. She's really starting to look like me at that age...

She has a loose tooth on the bottom and I get a status report at least once an hour. I wish the darned thing would finally fall out so we can invite the Tooth Fairy over for a visit!

I'm sure there's more to tell but it has been so hot here lately that my brain is almost completely fried! We were supposed to get thunderstorms last night but they didn't arrive. Bah! I WANT RAIN!!! My garden is very wilted and faded and if this is how the entire summer will go, then it's not going to survive...even with twice daily waterings. For now, I have 5 big tomatoes on the vines and 6 cherry tomatoes. With the latest produce fiasco in our country, I might find myself very thankful that we planted so many tomato plants this summer! (Let's hear it for home gardening!!!)

No comments: