Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A bunch of random junk

I'm almost done with Tori Spelling's book sTori Telling. I cannot believe how much I've enjoyed this read. It's just like having Tori in the room with me...or like a really long episode of "Tori & Dean: Inn Love". What's wrong with me? I was never a 90210 girl, so why the fascination with Tori all of a sudden?! At any rate, I'm almost finished and I think I'll be sad when it's over. Waaaah! That's ok...I have a real book (sorry Tori!) on hold at the library...Moments of Being by Virginia Woolf. I'll keep you posted.

I just spent the entire evening putting music on my iPod. Talk about a time waster! I love this little thing way more than is good for me. I have close to 1,300 songs on it now...and I'm still missing some major ones. Tonight I added some CSN&Y, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Clapton, and my newest favourite jamband, Umphrey's McGee based out of Chicago, Illinois. I would love, love, love to see these dudes play a live show! Too bad the only one in VA is a time when we are busy. Bah! I guess we could travel to Georgia to see them or somewhere out in the mid-west but I really don't think the kids are quite ready for the lives of roadies just yet...even though they did incredibly well on our two cross-country trips last year! Hmmm. Maybe I should put this idea in front of the hubby. "Honey, I was thinking we could load up the van and follow Umphrey's McGee around the country." Ha! NOT!

Spinach Pie rocked! I was able to use fresh dill from my garden. Tinna enjoyed some of the pie with me but I still have plenty of left-overs...yummy! The recipe is below along with a photo.


Spinach and Feta Pie Recipe #15326 on www.recipezaar.com by Derf

This pie makes a great looking dish for a brunch or a lovely plate for a luncheon with a light mixed baby greens salad.


1½ hours | 30 min prep | SERVES 8 -9 8 ounces phyllo pastry
1 lb spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 tablespoon chopped dried dill
3 eggs, beaten
4 ounces feta cheese
salt and pepper
2 ounces butter

Cut the pastry to fit the size or your baking dish, (I use a 9 inch regular pyrex pie plate or a 9 x 9 inch square pan), then keep it covered with a damp cloth.

Prepare the spinach.

Heat the oil and saute the onion for 5 minutes until soft.

Add the spinach and stir for 5 minutes over a medium heat then increase the heat to evaporate any moisture.

Leave to cool then mix in the dill, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper.

Brush the baking dish with melted butter.

Brush 8 layers of pastry with butter and lay them in the bottom of the dish.

Spread with the filling, then cover with the remaining pastry, brushing eaach one with melted butter and scoring the top into diamond shapes.

Sprinkle with water and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 40 minutes until crisp and golden.

Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve with crisp lettuce leaves.




Edited Wednesday morning: as I was falling asleep last night, I realized I had forgotten to add Steely Dan to the list of music I put on my iPod. Gotta have some Steely Dan. Another great group!

No comments: