Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Young Writers Reception

Young Writers Reception = ZZZzzzz. I was proud of Delaney, though, and the twins were very well behaved tonight. The place was packed, it was hot, difficult to move...kids and their families from all over the district. Delaney got her blue ribbon for participation and held her book while I took photos. We saw her principal and assistant principal at the event and they recognized her. (I was surprised about that!) I was a bit disappointed that her name wasn't in the brochure. It only said "Mrs. X's PM Kindergarten", I guess it was probably mandatory for the Kindergarteners to participate or something, even though I was told by the teacher that Delaney was the only child invited from their class. One thing I do not like, however, is the way this school teaches the students to write. I can understand the whole "sound it out" idea when kids are learning to read but I'm not convinved it's the best way to write. I am terribly afraid it sets kids up to be poor spellers. I suppose when a teacher has 20+ kids in the class, she can't spell every word for every child so she says "Do the best you can and spell it the way it sounds." At any rate, it's late now so here are the photos I took tonight.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Kids need to learn to spell correctly. Believe me I see enough poor spelling that I sometimes don't even catch my own mistakes. Kathy

Shannon said...

Yeah, me, too. See how I spelled "convinced"??? I are a college graduate.

Liudwih said...

Yay Delaney! We have had the same concerns about N.

Can have Tinna's dress when she out grows it? Maybe it will fit my foot someday.

Shannon said...

Sure! You know, I paid a LOT for that dress. $2.96 at CHKD. =) Maybe I'll sew it into a pillow when she has outgrown it. Wouldn't that be cute on her bed? Well...if you could see it amongst all of the cuddlies, that is!