Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Two food reviews

but no photos for you today.

First review: "Ofnsteiktur fiskur med lauk og osti - Fish casserole with onions and cheese". EXCELLENT! I used cod, which was a little overpowering/fishy, but the sauce this dish makes is delicious. Jo recommends serving the casserole with a salad and boiled potatoes...both of which I forgot to get together...so I had mine with greenbeans. I can see where this dish would be good with boiled red potatoes or even mashed potatoes. I loved it and will try it with flounder next time.

Second review: John McCann Steel Cut Oat Meal. Hmmm. Not a bad flavour but I think I need a bit of practice cooking it. Serving size of this is 1/4 cup dry but the directions call for cooking 1 cup oatmeal to 4 cups water. I reduced this to 1/4 cup dry and 1 cup water. Directions say to cook for 30 minutes. Mine got thick before it was properly cooked (thick with 20 minutes left on the clock!) so I had to add more water...at any rate, it was a bit chewy...perhaps I'll try the 1 to 4 measurement next time. Maybe I can refrigerate the leftovers. I dished this up with honey and milk and 1/4 cup definitely filled my tummy.


FISH CASSEROLE WITH ONIONS AND CHEESE

400gr. (about 12 oz) fish fillets (white fish), boned and skinned
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp bread crumbs
25gr. butter (I wasn't sure about this so I used about 2 Tbsp in total)

Cut the fish into chunks and arrange in a greased casserole. Add salt. Finely chop the onion and sprinkle over the fish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and cheese on top and dot with small pieces of butter. Bake in a 175 - 200C oven (about 350-375F) for 20-30 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes and a salad.

VARIATION: (this is what I followed) Put the salted fish in the casserole with the chopped onion and butter. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 175C. In the meantime, mix together 50 ml. cream, 100 ml. milk, 1 Tbsp breadcrumbs, and 2 Tbsp grated cheese (I used 1 Tbsp parmesan and 1 Tbsp of "Italian" mix shredded cheese). Pur over the fish and continue baking for 15 minutes.

No comments: