Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fire and rain

As I walked out the door this morning, I saw the most gorgeous sunrise. Sunna was definitely smiling on us today! I haven't seen a sunrise like this since Iceland. It lit up the sky in the most beautiful way...as if there was a huge fire somewhere in the distance. I ran back inside for the camera but the photos I took don't even begin to do it justice, as you can see below. I watched for a minute or two, then turned and began walking the dog down the street in the westerly direction. Lo, and behold, there was a rainbow in front of me! Simply amazing. I cannot help but feel joy when I see sights like this, as corny as it sounds. As I snapped the photos, I felt one or two drops of rain and by the time I got back to the house, both gorgeous sunrise and rainbow were gone.

On the steel cut oats front, I read on RealAge yesterday that one can make pinhead stone cut oats in a rice cooker, so I thought I would try that with my steel cut oats. The thought never occurred to me to try to cook them in the rice pot. What a big, friggin mess! There was starchy goo all over my counter!!! I'm guessing 4 cups of water is just way too much for my little pot (even though it was only half-way filled), I didn't think about boiling and pressure and all of that. Perhaps I'll try making half the batch next time...and surround the thing with towels as a preventative measure. The consistency was absolutely PERFECT and delicious and I didn't have to stand at the stove and stir...so, it will be clearly beneficial if I can find a way to make this work!

Besides that, there's not too much new here. I'm working madly on Will's scarf and am ready to change back to the navy blue and finish up. I should be done by the week-end if I keep on at the rate I'm knitting right now. Then I can get back to my Pel again and maybe even get to wear it before spring arrives! (don't hold your breath, though) Twinkies are home from school today. If they didn't have swimming lessons, I'd probably let them go, but as it is, I don't want them to get extra cold and run the risk of getting worse.


No comments: