Thursday, October 04, 2007

What I'm cooking and laughing about

I made a new recipe today...Mollie Katzen's "Carrot-Zucchini Kugle". I adjusted the recipe a bit to use yellow squash with my zucchini so I'm not sure how it will turn out. It's baking right now and smells pretty good. I'll post the recipe below.

During "my time" today, I cleaned out my car. Gross is the only word to describe it. I don't think it's been really cleaned out since we lived in CA. So, there were lots of crumbs and sand and all kinds of other nasties in it. If only we'd get rain, I wouldn't even have to begin to think about the outside, which I didn't have time to clean...yet. Yay.

Here's what I'm laughing about. Auntie Lori just sent me this link in my yahoo. Too f'ing funny! Intoxicated West Virginia man tries to outrun the police on a lawn mower. BWAHAHAHAHA!


CARROT-ZUCCHINI KUGEL

6 packed cups coarsely-grated zucchini (approximately 3-4 medium zucchini)
3 cups finely-minced onion
3 Tbsp butter
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
3 packed cups coarsely-grated carrot (approximately 5 medium carrots)
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup matzo meal, fine breadcrumbs, or wheat germ
6 Tbsp flour
1 tsp. baking powder
freshley-ground black pepper
dots of butter for the top (2-3 Tbsp)

1. Place the grated zucchini in a colander over a sink or a bowl. Salt it and let it stand 15 minutes. Squeeze out all excess moisture.

2. In a heavy skillet saute the onions in 3 Tbsp butter with 3/4 tsp. salt over medium heat, until the onions are soft and translucent (5-8 minutes). Remove from heat.

3. In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, sauteed onions, and grated carrot. Beat in the eggs and the matzo meal (or crumbs or wheat germ).

4. Sift in the flour and baking powder. Grind in a generous amount of fresh black pepper. Mix well.

5. Spread the batter into a well-greased (butter) 9x13-inch baking pan. Place thin slices of butter here & there on the top surface. Bake 1 1/4 hours (375F) uncovered.

**45 minutes to prepare, 1 1/4 hours to bake. 4-6 servings.

No comments: