Monday, September 10, 2007

Jonathan Franzen?

Has anyone out there read Jonathan Franzen? I found this link accidentally...I originally started out reading an article about Joan Didion receiving an award for The Year of Magical Thinking and I ended up at DW (deutsche welle) because I saw an article called "I try to be an example of an OK American". I wanted to know what the definition of "OK" was...so I looked. Anyway, Franzen sounds fascinating in this article! I'm off to the library this afternoon to get How to Be Alone. The summary is below...I'll let you know how it goes!

The author presents his 1996 work, "The Harper's Essay," offering additional writings that consider a central theme of the erosion of civic life and private dignity and the increasing persistence of loneliness in postmodern American.

No comments: