Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wild animals and bread pudding

What a day it's been! Not that anything THAT exciting occured but the kids just took it out of me today. In the morning, they had an ice water "tea party" in the yard. Then lunch. Then we went to the library to see the Virginia Wildlife Center's presentation (Great Horned Owl, Cornsnake, Oppossum - photos below). The kids were about as naughty as they could possibly be and I was one of "those" moms...you know...the ones who really should get up and take their kids out of the room but instead sit there and try to ignore the bad behaviour. Ugh. I was so frustrated, I really didn't know what to do. Everytime I said, "Get your shoes on. C'mon, we're going." They'd start screaming and attracting even more attention...and frankly, I was just fed up and wishing the earth could open and swallow us all. Afterward, we went to Wal-Mart because I needed some salad and dressing and some canning jars for this week-end. The trip to Wal-Mart was no better either. I can't even get into that. Basically, they fought about where they were sitting in the cart and William opened a bottle of salad dressing with his teeth as I was walking to the canning jars. I missed seeing it because I was trying to steer the monster cart and not hit other customers instead of watching the kids.

So, it was really a day from hell. The girls are in bed, still talking and fighting. I just heard someone say "Nooo!" loudly. So I have to go in and be the mean mama again.

Here is a recipe for Bread Pudding. It is very easy and yummy. Photo below. I got this one from my roommate Sue in Pittsburgh. I used to make it quite often when I lived there but I haven't made it for years now. Tried it again today and the kids gobbled it up.


Bread Pudding

2 cups (2-4 slices) soft or dry bread cubes (I use wheat bread and it tastes just fine)
1/4 cup raisins
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat over to 350F. Lightly grease a 1-quart casserole (I use 9x9 or 8x8 pan)
Place bread cubes in casserole; sprinkle with raisins. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; beat well. Pour over bread cubes. (I made sure to shove all of the bread down in so it absorbs a good bit of liquid, too) Place casserole in baking pan filled with about 1 inch of hot water. Bake at 350F for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Makes 4-5 servings.









No comments: