Saturday, June 09, 2007

Stevie, pools, strawberries and turts

Another completely slacker day. We got up around 7:30-8:00 and headed out to a store called "Home Emporium"...they specialize in remodeling items...cabinets, rugs, tile, flooring, etc. You name it, they have it. Some things are new but damaged, some items are salvaged from buildings that are being demolished. Anyway...we went there looking for cabinetry for our kitchen (we desperately need a pantry or some more storage) and laundry room. Of course we didn't really find much that would work. After this store, we hit "Freight Liquidators" and again, no real finds...well...a futon but it looked too large for our FROG room (FROG = finished room over garage). On to "Big Lots" where we did end up with a purchase, but not on anything you'd THINK we'd buy. We found a 15 foot above ground pool (30 inches deep, don't panic, folks). After Big Lots, we hit the strawberry patch again for the last day of picking. Then to WalMart and McDonald's and back home. Sheesh! I'm exhausted writing it all down. We ate and spent the rest of the afternoon putting the pool together. The kids just spent about 2 hours slipping and sliding around while it was filling.

I made a strawberry tart tonight (thank you, Kraft Foods! - recipe below). I did peach last night. Yummmy!

Went to walk the dog and on my walk, I saw a teeny tiny little turtle along the side of the road. He was probably the size of a half-dollar. I brought him home to show the kids and of course they wanted him to swim with them in the pool. He was a box turtle, though, and we thought it best to put him back in the woods. Our house is *very* close to the Great Dismal Swamp so we figure he crawled out of the marsh and found his way to us. So sweet. I should have taken a photo.

Found out Stevie Nicks is playing Norfolk, VA on June 28. As much as I want to go, I feel that finances in a new home will prevent it. Bummer. I'd love to see her again...get my fix. Ahhhhh, Stevie...

I think that's about all. Steve's outside grilling and I'm supposed to be unpacking boxes. It's almost 7pm, our dinners are getting later and later every night. Life is always like this when Steven isn't working. It's nice but it's also rough on me because I like to have a schedule.


Freestyle Fruit Tart

3 cups sliced fruit (original recipe calls for plums)
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 of a block)
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust (the kind you just unroll and bake)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon/sugar mixture

Pre-heat oven to 450F and unroll pie crust in 10" glass pie plate. Spread cream cheese in a 6 inch circle in the middle of the pie shell.

Cut fruit and combine with the sugar and 2 Tbsps flour. Add fruit to the top of the cream cheese. Fold the pie shell over to cover about 2 inches of the fruit.

Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!!! Yummmy!

No comments: