Thursday, March 08, 2007

Edward Abbey, Thoreau of the American West

I discovered this man today. An Indiana, PA native, at that!



I'm very surprised I've never heard of him before (why haven't I heard of him???) and you can bet I'll be looking for more of his stuff in the near future. There is an entry in The Walker's Literary Companion entitled "Walking". I read it just a few minutes ago. (Yes, now I've been caught "cheating" on Independent People. Shame on me! But in my defense, I had only picked up the book to put it away and it fell open to this and I was forced to read it.) Anyway, I think Abbey's right...about a lot of things...about life, how short it is, how we rush too much these days. Here's how it goes...I hope you like it.

Edward Abbey
WALKING

Whenever possible I avoid the practice myself. If God had meant us to walk, he would have kept us down on all fours, with well-padded paws. He would have constructed our planet on the model of the simple cube, so that the notion of circularity and consequently the wheel might never have arisen. He surely would not have made mountains.

There is something unnatural about walking. Especially walking uphill, which always seems to me not only unnatural but so unnecessary. That iron tug of gravitation should be all the reminder we need that in walking uphill we are violating a basic law of nature. Yet we persist in doing it. No one can explain why. George H. Leigh-Mallory's asinine rationale for climbing a mountain - "because it's there" - could easily be refuted with a few well-placed hydrogen bombs. But our common sense continues to lag far behind the available technology.

My own first Group Outing was with the United States Infantry. The experience made a bad impression on my psyche - a blister on my soul that has never healed completely. Of course, we were outfitted with the very best hiking equipment the army could provide: heavy-gauge steel helmet; gas mask; knee-length wool overcoat; fully loaded ammunition belt around the wasit, resting on the kidneys; full field pack including a shovel ("entrenching tool"), a rugged canvas tarpaulin ("shelter half") and a pair of wool blankets for bivouac; steel canteen filled with briny water (our group leader insisted on dumping salt tablets into each member's canteen at the beginning of the hike); and such obvious essentials as combat boots, bayonet, and the M-1 rifle. Since resigning from the infantry, some time ago, I have not participated in any group outings.

However, some of us do walk best under duress. Or only under duress. Certainly my own most memorable hikes can be classified as Shortcuts that Backfired. For example, showing my wife the easy way to drive down from Deadhorse Point to Moab, via Pucker Pass, I took a wrong turn in the twilight, got lost in a maze of jeep trails, ran out of gas. We walked about twenty miles that night, through the rain, she in tennis shoes and me in cowboy boots. Better than waiting for the heat of the day. Or take the time I tried to force a Hertz rented car up Elephant Hill on the Needles Jeep Trail - another long, impromptu walk. Or one night on the eastern outskirst of Albuquerque, New Mexico, when a bunch of student drunks decided to climb the Sandia Mountains by moonlight. About twelve started; two of us made it, arriving at the crest sixteen hours later, famished, disillusioned, lacerated, and exhausted. But it sure cured the hangover.

There are some good things to say about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. I have a friend who's always in a hurry; he never gets anywhere. Walking makes the world much bigger and therefore more interesting. You have time to observe the details. The utopian technologists foresee a future for us in which distance is annihilated and anyone can transport himself anywhere, instantly. Big deal, Buckminster. To be everywhere at once is to be nowhere forever, if you ask me. That's God's job, not ours; that's what we pay Him for. Her for.

The longest journey begins with a single step, not with a turn of the ignition key. That's the best thing about walking, the journey itself. It doesn't much matter whether you get where you're going or not. You'll get there anyway. Every good hike brings you eventually back home. Right where you started.

Which remids me of circles. Which reminds me of wheels. Which reminds me my old truck needs another front-end job. Any good mechanics out there wandering through the smog?

6 comments:

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

omigosh, now you've got me started on Ed Abbey! I love him! I'll give you my favorite works of his in order...just give me a minute :-)...this is going to be fun...

Shannon said...

SEE...How the heck did I miss him??? I briefly looked him up on Wikipedia and was impressed. It sounds like he knew how to piss people off. Gotta love that in a man...especially one who can write, too! Anyway, I cannot wait to meet you this summer. I think we will have a lot in common!!!

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

Welcome to the world of Edward Abbey! I am also a relative newcomer, "finding" Abbey six years ago. That was when James Cahalan's "Edward Abbey: A Life" was published. I had never even heard of Abbey, yet I was born, raised, and still live approximately 35 miles from his birthplace of Indiana, PA, and his childhood home of Home, PA.

I have since become hooked on Ed. Although I don't always agree with all he says, he ALWAYS makes you think, many times with a great sense of humor. It's just amazing to me how many issues that Abbey was into 30 or 40 years ago are in the spotlight today: we're still trying to figure out how to save the environment, arguing about gun rights, the rights of eminent domain, the purpose and use of our National Parks (and the NPS's role in that), population growth, illegal immigration, and on and on and on. Edward Abbey was into all of these subjects many years ago.

As far as reading his material goes, I would actually recommend starting with James Cahalan's "Edward Abbey: A Life." This biography will give you a good solid background into all the people and places in his "real" life and how he uses/refers to them in his fictional (or sometimes semi-fictional) stories.

After that, I would move to the recently released "Postcards From Ed," which are writings from Abbey to friends, family, agents, newspapers, etc. This book gives a good all around taste for his views on many subjects. Because these are more personal writings, it also gives you that additional unique insight into him.

I would also suggest starting with "A Voice Crying in the Wilderness," "The Serpents of Paradise," or "Confessions of a Barbarian." These all contain selections of his writings or other such "words of wisdom" of Abbey. From there you might better determine which of his other books that you'd like to read.

One other thing that you might want to do is set up a Google Alert with his name as the key. That's what I've done, and I am amazed that -- almost 20 years after his death -- not a single day goes by that there is not a mention of, or a quote by, Abbey on the Internet. In fact, that's how I found your reference!

Enough of my ramblings...enjoy your newfound world of Edward Abbey!

Harry (Johnstown, PA)

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Harry, your comments were interesting to me because I'm not familiar with many of the things you mentioned. I'll have to read Cahalan's book. I read Abbey a number of years ago, and I haven't kept up with the newer stuff. My favorites:

1. Monkey Wrench Gang. A group of radical environmentalists and kooks who do many of the things we only dream about doing. And more! Laugh-out-loud humor and endearing, albeit somewhat larger than life characters. These are people who, once you read this book, will remain with you all of your life!

2. Desert Solitaire. Ed's life as a park ranger at Arches National Park, Utah. A love story to nature, with Abbey's typical humor.

3. The ultimate love story. Haunting. About a fire lookout ranger, and his love for a younger woman.

4. Fire on the Mountain. The individual against the machine. Based on an actual event in which the government tried to take the land of a New Mexico rancher to make it part of the White Sands Missile Range.

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

I've read both The Monkey Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire, and have Fire on the Mountain on my "wish list."

What is the title of the third book that you mention? That one sounds very interesting. Actually, I probably have that one on my wish list, too, and just don't recognize the storyline off the top of my head.

I failed to mention a terrific DVD that was recently re-released from its original VHS format. In addition to the original material, there is a performance by Tom Russell of a song that he wrote: The Ballad of Edward Abbey. I am a Tom Russell fan and had the CD with the song. Now, to have the DVD -- with the song on it -- is really neat. Check it out at www.cnha.org. Take it from me, it's well worth the $18.95. It's of superb quality with lots of old photos of his home and family life, old (obviously) sound bites with Ed, and other sound bites of some of his best friends, including those upon whom he based his Monkey Wrench characters.

Unfortunately, my wife does not share my enthusiasm for neither Ed Abbey nor Tom Russell. It's neat to find someone to share this with!

Actually, I have corresponded with James Cahalan several times regarding Abbey-related subjects. One was to arrange to have one of his undergrads serve as a carrier of sorts to have him autograph his Edward Abbey: A Life book for me. Another was to let him know that a Johnstown magazine had three folks review the book. He wasn't aware of it and asked me to photocopy the reviews for him. I emailed the magazine, explained the situation, and they agreed to send him a complimentary issue. You may want to check out his website at:
http://www.english.iup.edu/jcahalan/. It's very interesting and has some neat background, links, etc.

Harry

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Shannon, Harry...sorry! #3 Ed Abbey book is Black Sun.