Friday, February 02, 2007

There were buns in the oven...

12 of them to be exact. I tried a new bread machine recipe tonight...it was really yummy so I'll post it below. I usually make two loaves of challah on Friday night but today I just felt like doing something different. I took a look at a book that I've had forever "The Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints" and found this little gem... Herb Rolls...how could I resist a recipe that is introduced with the words "Such excellent rolls deserve a fine dinner. They go well with everything from prime roast beef to homemade chicken soup." I had some swiss steak already cooking in the crockpot and these sounded like just the thing to go with it! I was right.

I'm also posting photos of shawl #2. Can't say who it is for...she may or may not read this blog. The colours are nice but mostly browns and golds. I really liked the colour of the Jungle mohair that I used in the first shawl better...it had more of a spectrum in it.

Not too much planned for the week-end. The sun has returned...temps are predicted to be close to 68F tomorrow. Delaney wants to go to Balboa Park to play so we might try a museum while we are there...or maybe take in a new puppet show. The kids really enjoy that. We'll pack a lunch and spend most of the day at the park. Sunday, Heather and Emilio are coming over to watch the Superbowl. Not that we are a Superbowl family, or a sports family for that matter, but really, I just wanted an opportunity to gorge my face with chips and salsa, drink some beer, and maybe have swiss fondue with a girlfriend. (Steve hates swiss cheese) Oh, and STEVIE NICKS will be performing in the pre-game show so I have to be home to see that! (And hit the record button on the DVR!)



Finished product - shawl #2




Up close of shawl #2




Herb dough rising (doesn't that sound like a good title for a Pillsbury Dough Boy mystery book?)




Finished herb rolls!




A little bored in the kitchen tonight so I spelled out two places where I'd rather be!!!



Herb Rolls

1 Pound Loaf*

3 Tbsps butter or margarine
2 Tbsps finely chopped onion
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried tarragon (I did not have this so I used a pinch of Rosemary leaves)
3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps active dry yeast

In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add onion, garlic, and herbs. Saute over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Place all ingredients, including onion mixture, in bread pan, select DOUGH setting, and press Start.

When the dough has risen long enough, the machine will beep. Turn off bread machine, remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a lightly floured countertop or cutting board.

Gently roll and stretch dough into an 18-inch rope. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, a 9x13x2-inch pan, or a large baking sheet.

For 1 Pound Dough
With sharp knife, divide dough into 12 pieces.

Roll dough into balls, place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place 30-45 minutes until doubled.

Preheat oven to 400F. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm. Yield, 12 rolls.

*If you would like the changes for the 1 1/2 pound dough, just email me or leave a comment and I will send it to you. I didn't see the need to post both versions of the recipe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shaaan! I haven't been keeping up to date with your blog :( So now I find out you guys are going back to VA! Holy cr@p.

I'm jealous of your buns. Hahahaha! OK that sounds bad...I mean, I'm jealous because it's hard to bake here in the high altitude. I can never get bread to rise correctly, while your buns look so nice and big. HAHAHHA! OK I'll stop.

Loves ya, means it. C-

Shannon said...

Yep, I've got some nice big ones! =) Hahaha!

Loves ya, 2.