Monday, January 08, 2007

*sigh*...what a week...general kvetching...Disneyland

Just when I thought I'd be catching up from all of the exhaustion of the holidays, I discover it is only the beginning.

The trip to Disneyland turned out to be bittersweet. The actual trip itself in the park...fun fun fun. I love Disney. I want to be a Princess someday when I grow up...or maybe just one of those pretty toys in Small World. We left our house around 9:30 Wednesday morning to make the 90 minute drive up to Anaheim. Not too bad, Heather & Emilio were following, we all got to the hotel, checked in, parked, etc. Got to Disney (from here on known as "the park") around 11:30 or so. It was packed as hell. Everyone in the entire state of CA must have decided to take a few extra days after the New Year to go there. Still, no kid is unhappy when they are there so no complaints about our kids or their behaviour. They did great. The park was still decked out for Christmas and everything was beautiful. We saw the parade, rode a few rides, met Minnie & Goofy, etc. The fireworks started at 9:25 and we stayed to see those. When the lights came back up after the fireworks, fake snow (made from soap bubbles) started to fall. You should have seen my kids' faces. 3 kids who have never seen snow (well, Delaney did in Iceland but doesn't remember it) totally believed it was snowing in Disneyland! It was beautiful. We walked back down MainStreet USA and back to the hotel...arriving around 10:30pm.

We had booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Anabella hotel over the internet...$89/night. We thought that was a great deal. Steve got the room key and we took the kids to the room. The room was clean and lovely, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and 4 piece box of Whitman chocolates on the table waiting for us, BUT, imagine our disappointment when we walked into the room and saw that it was not a 2 bedroom suite afterall. 3 kids, 2 parents, 1 room = 1 really long night with little sleep. To top it off, I had forgotten to bring the babies pacifiers and they have never gone without them before. ARRGH. So, off to the lobby Steve marched to state his case about the room. Turns out, the room we registered for online wasn't really available so they gave us a "Concierge Suite" and called it an upgrade. Sure, the original Queen bed we paid for had turned into a King but the second bedroom was GONE. By the time he had finished talking to the manager the kids were already asleep and what (really) was the point of moving into a new room and disturbing 3 little ones who really needed their rest - maybe more than their Mommy and Daddy? Right??? So, we stayed...and didn't get much sleep at all.

Up at 7:30 to pack, eat, etc. Back at the park on Thursday by 9:00...only to discover that the tickets Steve purchased from MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation - 2 day passes) were only good for 1 day at Disneyland and 1 day at California Adventures. We didn't WANT to go to CA Adventures and Steven had asked the lady selling them over and over if we could use them for 2 days at Disney. She insisted that we could. GRRRRRRRRRR. Disney Guest Services traded them in for 2 day park hopper passes (minus 1 day since we had been there the day prior) and allowed us to go in for a minimal upgrade fee.

Finally into the park by 10 and man, did we ever pack in the rides. We met Winnie the Pooh, Chip (from Chip & Dale the chipmunks), Santa, Woody & Jesse (from Toy Story 1 & 2)...saw Alice from a distance (from Alice In Wonderland - one of Delaney's favorites) and a bunch of other characters that we just couldn't get to fast enough. Wow. Phew! We didn't get out of the park until 8:00 that night. Stopped at the Denny's in Anaheim for dinner before hitting the road for the ride home. Finally on the road around 9 and home about 11.

Friday found me waking with a hurting tummy. I took Tinna over to the NEX to get some milk, etc, and by lunchtime I couldn't stand up as I was in so much pain. I had every intention of helping Steve feed the kids and getting them in bed for naptime but I just couldn't. Then it hit. Montezuma's Revenge. I still don't know if it was viral or food related...no one else came down with it but I had chills and nausea for the rest of Friday and all that night. I was weak as hell on Saturday and oh-so-thankful Steve was not in the middle of classes and not too busy to take care of all of us. By Friday night, Delaney had an out and out fever of 102.9 and a horrible cough. Saturday morning, she got into my bed around 5:30. At 6:30, she threw up in my bed. William started in with a fever yesterday (Sunday) and vomited in his bed around 2:30 this morning. SO, we took all 3 kids to the doctor today (Tinna is also starting with a low-grade fever and runny nose) only to have the dr confirm that this is "probably" viral and should pass within 5 days.

The plans for the week: 1.) get the kids well. I had to pay for 3 days of school for Delaney...whether she goes or not...I hope she can go for at least 2 days this week. She misses her teacher and her friends. She is killing me with the constant need for attention. She needs to be in school and learning new things. 2.) Steve is going to go back to school starting tomorrow and get his paper done. His new term starts next Thursday and I really really really want to get down to Mexico before that happens. If we don't do it now, I have a feeling we won't make it there at all. 3.) I signed up for a knitted sock class for next Sunday afternoon - I'm excited by the prospect of finally tackling a project that terrified me way back in 1991. I think I'm ready. Oh yeah and I also bought an instruction book for my Knifty Knitter looms (.97) at WalMart today so that could be a possible 4.) project for this week...test out my KK looms and see if I like them or not.

So, that's it. That's why The Wiltin Rose has been so quiet for almost a week now. I feel a great deal better today. Despite all of the excitement and illness from Disney, I have had a bit of extra time on my hands recently and managed to finish a knitted scarf for Delaney AND "catalog" (I laugh at the term) over 300 more books into my "LibraryThing" catalog while *my* laptop is actually living here at the house and not at the SDSU library.

Here are a few photos to brighten up the place. Enjoy!




First day at Disney - not long after arriving.




Meeting Minnie & Goofy.




Day 2 - meeting Pooh. We have great video of him dancing with the kids. They absolutely love him.




Kids with Chip. Dale was out collecting nuts or something.




Delaney with Woody & Jesse.




William with Woody. He even came home with a new woody doll that talks!




William napping around 6:00 on the last day. Notice the lollipop stuck to his jacket.




End of the day. Tinna just cannot make it any longer.




Last, but not least, Henry modeling Delaney's new scarf made by yours truly. Delaney now says "it's too itchy" and will not put it on for a photo. I did notice her wearing it early this morning when the house was cold so I think the "itch" bothers her more when the camera is in front of her face.

No comments: