Saturday, December 23, 2006

HAPPY SOLSTICE!

Happy Solstice! We've made it through the longest night of the year. The rebirth of the sun had me wondering...you know, if maybe I'd missed it by a day or two...I woke up to the sound of pouring rain today. It is such an oddity here in CA. Thankfully that didn't last but an hour or so and then it was over and we DID get to see the sun! It was even a bit warmer today than it has been. I'm putting down a wager that Christmas day in San Diego will be so warm it won't feel like Christmas. After weeks and weeks of colder temps and being so cold at night that I have to put my head under the covers to fall asleep, I think it will hit 70 or 75 on Monday. I'll keep you posted.

More cleaning today. I think we are at a point where we can finally say we are DONE with the cleaning. Oh wait! I did just realize I haven't mopped the kitchen floor yet. Grrrrr. Ok, so besides that...all that is left to do is put fresh sheets on the beds sometime on Sunday. Oh, and only two more visits from the Yule Lads. I will be sad to see them go. I must say, these little lads have helped keep Miss Delaney Rose in check. Quite a few times all I've had to say is "Do you want a potato from the Yule Lad tonight?" and she would sort herself right out. I wonder why the lads can't visit us year 'round? I guess the novelty would wear off, eh?

I spent all afternoon baking cookies. I did 8 dozen ginger cookies (...again...but we didn't eat the entire original 8 dozen, I swear! I took most of them over to the Healthy Start office so they would have them for their Christmas functions) and 5 dozen snicker doodles. My legs are KILLING me tonight. I also have a rolled up date pinwheel log sitting in the refrigerator waiting for morning so I can start right in and slice it up and bake it, too. I'm guessing there might be 2 dozen cookies in that log. I tasted the date filling earlier and it just doesn't seem like what I remember my grandmother making. I know I'm using her recipe but she must have done something different to it. These are the days I really miss being able to pick up the phone to find out.

So, with that said. I'm heading off to bed. No photos today. You'll have to wait.

No comments: