Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Crockpot Applesauce

Oooooh, my friends...you will NOT be disappointed with this one! Served cold or warm, this is delicious. Steven said it tastes just like store-bought applesauce but made at home, you know exactly what is in it! When I made it last week, I served it warm over vanilla ice cream. You've never seen kids eat so fast in your life! A few days later, we finished it off cold and it was even better. I'm thinking that someday (read: when I have a home of my OWN) I'm going to learn how to can/preserve foods and this will be something I "put up" for the winter, as my grandmother's used to say. If you have babies starting solid foods or small children AND you own a crockpot, this recipe is for you! What makes it even easier is an "Apple Peeler, Corer, Slicer" from the Pampered Chef. With that tool, you can have this in the crockpot in 10 minutes.

Crockpot Applesauce
by LoveBakedIn
RecipeZaar Recipe #69127

Makes 6 cups
25 mins prep time, 3 hours to cook

4 lbs tart apples, cored and sliced thin*
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

-Mix apples (about 12 cups) with cinnamon and sugar and put into crockpot
-Pour water and lemon juice over apples. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.

Stir, cool and serve!

*I used Granny Smith apples and they worked out pretty well. The first time I made this, I did not peel the apples and we didn't really like the bits of skin. I'm making another batch today and peeled everything first, so we'll see how that turns out.

No comments: