Friday, October 13, 2006

Happy Autumn and Playdough!





For the first time in almost 3 years, I am actually living in a place where it feels like autumn! It was cold enough a few days ago that I could close my eyes, breathe, and *almost* smell the smells of home. Someone had a fire going, the air was crisp...ahhhh! Some leaves in the neighborhood are even turning colours and dropping. So, I've been feeling more creative for it. Above is a photo of our front door. Indian Corn and a new bow...made by ME. Not much but it's a start!

Here's a new photo of William taken today. He got his hair cut this morning and looks pretty cute. I haven't had many of him on here lately so I thought I'd add this one.

Delaney and I made homemade playdough yesterday. It is easy, non-toxic if eaten, and cheaper than having to replace the brand name stuff. Besides the fact that you can mix food colouring to get whatever colour the little dears desire. We made purple. Below is the recipe.

Playdough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1-2 tablespoons oil (we used 1 1/2)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
Food colouring if desired*

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a saucepan and then add oil and water.

Cook slowly over a low heat until the dough comes away from the edges of the pan and it becomes difficult to move with a spoon.

Remove from heat and cool until it can be handled. Knead. Add food colouring if desired. Store in an airtight container or zip lock bag.

**The instructions call for adding the colour at the end. You have to use a lot and really work it in. I'm going to try to put it in with the water the next time I make it and see what happens with that.

No comments: