Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I can smell the smoke!

Yesterday evening, maybe around 7, the dog wanted to go out. I opened the door for him and noticed a strong smell of smoke. I even commented to Delaney that the neighbors must be using their fireplace, even though it was about 60F (very warm). She said she could smell the smoke, too, and that it smelled nice. As the evening progressed, I could still smell the smoke because it was coming in through our HVAC system. Weird. It was starting to really bother me. Smoke smell overload. Later in the evening, I spoke to Ashley and she said "Can you smell the smoke?" I said "Yeah. What's it from?" And she told me there is a big brush fire on the NC/VA border...sure enough, I looked online and found an article about the brush fire that started on Monday on the NC/VA border. Parts of Route 17 are closed indefinitely and even one neighborhood of Chesapeake was evacuated yesterday (Great Bridge/Deep Creek area). Wow. As far as fire goes, that's really not that far from here. It was windy when I walked the dog last night so I went to bed in a worse paranoid state than usual. Around 5:30 or so this morning, I started waking, noticing the sound of cars going past...almost like it had rained. I have pretty keen ears for this sort of thing, don't ask why because I cannot explain it. I got up around 6:45 and looked out the bathroom window...sure enough, it's raining. Yaaaa-hoo! Rain is the best thing that could happen in our area right now, so let's hope it continues! I'll hold back on bitching about it today.

So, it's early here...the girls are still in bed. I'm getting ready for my cuppa joe, feed kiddies and shower...then we're off to OfficeMax to have some documents photocopied (because my scanner is very much dead and not coming back to life anytime soon) and then overnighted to some other locale. Yay.

I never did get Pel finished up last night. I had a hell of a time getting these docs to print, had to download a new version of Adobe, blah blah blah. I was done doing that around 10 so then I just goofed off online for the next 30 minutes before I went to bed. Such is life. Knitting this afternoon will be my priority. I swear, I'm *this* close to being done...and I'm going to do it!

No comments: