Thursday, November 29, 2007

Flash! A-ah!

Does anyone out there remember that song? Flash by Queen? What a kick ass song! (Ok, give me a break, I was about 8 when it came out.)

A quick little blog to say I'm catching up with technology. I started thinking about my Christmas cards this week...well...I started thinking about them at the beginning of the month and had them printed at that time...now I'm thinking about the labels...because I refuse to hand-write close to 100 cards. (Hey, I'm sooo popular, what can I say?!) I have two computers, a laptop which Santa bought for me 2 Christmas's ago, but which hubby completely HOGGED when we were living in San Diego because he needed it for school...and a big monster that we keep upstairs in the FROG. Unfortunately, the monster computer is f'ing slow-as-molasses and has all of our data stored on it and pretty much pisses me off just to look at it. The other night I thought I'd get smart and save all of my christmas card docs onto a 3.5" floppy disc...and that would make my life easy because I could take the info downstairs and work on it while I watched the kids. Ha! Fate always has a way of biting me in the butt when I think I'm being smart and I quickly discovered this laptop does not have a 3.5" floppy drive. GO FIGURE. I looked around for any of the gazillion flash drives that Steve used during grad school but no luck. SO, as I was out at Office Max yesterday to get copies made of the kids' letters to Santa (which cost me exactly $2.90 - because my scanner bit the dust and I don't want to spend $100 for a new one right now), I thought "I'll pick up a flash drive of my own!" And so I did. My VERY OWN flash drive. I feel like such a big girl! Today I was able to get ALL of my return labels printed and even got a start on updating the data source for the mail merge to make the rest of the labels. Oh, and by the way, do you know you can go to www.avery.com and download a wizard that allows you to easily add graphics to your labels...for no charge? How cool is that?!

Alrighty, then.

The only food to write about would be my dinner last night and the leftovers I had today. Coconut rice with palak paneer. I'm completely and utterly addicted. And the waist line is showing it.

Coconut Rice

1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups coconut milk
1 tsp salt

Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover pot and allow the rice to simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is done. Serve hot with curry dishes or other poultry, meat, fish, or vegetables. Serves 4. (or do like I do and put it all in a rice cooker and hit "Cook" and be done with it)

Oh, and here's something that's been getting on my nerves lately...ever look at the "Weather Pixie" on the right hand side of this page? What's wrong with that girl? Tonight, it says the temperature is 39F and all she has on is pants and a sweater. Pants and a sweater! The only time I ever dressed like that in 39F was when I was at Penn State and heading out to the bars! I froze the whole way there but I knew I wouldn't care after a few solid hours of drinking and being loud in the bar. But 39F...I'm getting ready to go walk the dog and you can bet I'll have on: a fleece sweater with a jacket over that, a hat with earflaps that velcro's under my chin, AND gloves. Some days it's raining here and 50F and she has a strapless sundress on. I think she needs a mother. "Honey, put your jacket on!" Seriously. 50F and wearing clothes like that. No wonder people get sick!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is a pixie anyway? No one has every heard of or used that term. She's a weather HOOKER! Hookers don't wear coats!

Shannon said...

I think you might be right. It's 52 now and she has on pink butterfly pants and a tank top with a butterfly over her boobs...and her tummy is hanging out. She does, in fact, look rather slutty to me, too!

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Aunt Lori, you're funny! A weather hooker! Seriously, if our weather pixie had a mother, she wouldn't "hear" her advice any more than she hears us right now! I'll never forget visiting my friend in Minneapolis in the dead of winter as her high school age daughter left for school...wearing flip flops. In the snow.

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

And Shannon, your Christmas card photo is GREAT! It was the first card we received this year--you win the prize!