Monday, November 13, 2006

Something to warm your insides...

Our house was 64F when I woke up this morning. That was the kitchen temperature and we had all of the windows closed in that room. We sleep with our bedroom window open a bit and I'm quite sure it was colder in there than in the rest of the house. I got up around 4:30 to give Tinna some cough medicine, when I came back to bed, the thought of putting a hat on my head to hold in my body heat actually crossed my mind. I'm guessing it was in the 50's in our bedroom. Brrrrr. We haven't turned on the heat yet as we are terrified of how high our electricity bill will go. Anyway, it is warming up outside now and it will probably be in the low 70's today. Still, I'm sitting here with a bowl of hot museli. If you live in a cold climate, you can do this, too. It is easy, pretty healthy, and takes less than 10 minutes.

1/2 cup museli (the good European stuff, not the American brands that are loaded with sugar!)
1/2 cup milk

Put together in a pan and heat over medium heat. When it begins to boil, start stirring slowly and stir for at least 3 minutes. If you enjoy chewy oatmeal, this is when you want to stop...if you like the oats a bit softer, cook it about 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat, scoop into a bowl. Add a little bit of brown sugar and milk if so desired.

YUMMMMM. Nothing like it to warm you up on a cold day!

No comments: