Friday, November 17, 2006

Recipes: Disappointing Dump Cake and Commendable Crab Cheese Fondue...

Tonight's dinner was a little bit of a let down for everyone. I had some confusion in my own mind as to which fondue I should make...repeat last week's Cheese & Guinness or try a new recipe for Crab Cheese??? I made Shake-n-Bake Ranch chicken strips because all of us like them so they would be a sure thing. The veggies were iffy...broccoli and cauliflower for dipping and apples, too, if the kids wouldn't eat the veggies. Delaney was very excited to have some of the "Dump Cake" we made together in the crockpot this afternoon. She scarfed down her chicken quickly and said "Can I have my cake now?!?!" Of course we made her wait for everyone else to finish, not a quick task since Tinna was gagging down her chicken tonight. What can I say? Some nights it's a hit and some night's, it's not. Obviously tonight wasn't great.

I was a bit disappointed in the crab fondue, to be honest. Steven said he loved it. It had wonderful reviews on RecipeZaar and I had such high hopes. The thought of crab brings to mind Maryland and home and good seafood in a dinky restaurant somewhere along "The Bay" and I was really ready for it by the time I had it on the table. But it was very thin, not much sticking power on the veggies and bread and the taste of the crab wasn't Maryland crab by any means. Bah! By the time we got to the bottom of the pot, we realized that all of the crab meat had sunk (we did stir often!!!) and we were fighting over who would get the most of it. Fighting with fondue forks can be a little bit dangerous, so as always, I graciously gave way to my husband. And anyway, I had to save a few calories for the dump cake.

Dump cake. Ugh. What can I say? I have tasted and made GREAT dump cakes before. This one was done in the crockpot and just didn't turn out very well at all. I used a can of apple pie filling and a spice cake mix. It sounded so good in theory but in reality all of the spices were a bit overwhelming. The mixture itself would have gone well over vanilla ice cream. Maybe a can of apple pie filling and a yellow cake would do the trick better. I don't know. I *might* give this recipe a try again but it's going to be awhile. I can still feel it sitting in the bottom of my stomach. Yuck.

Oh, and incidentally, I treated myself to this little "salt pig" today. I saw one in a cookbook and thought how wonderful it would be to have it *right beside* my stove to hold my kosher salt! No more schlepping to and from the cabinet when I'm cooking. Aunt Lori told me the official name of the thing, I did a google search, and VOILA! I now have a salt pig on the way to my house. I couldn't live without internet shopping (ok, well, yeah, I could LIVE but I really love not having to go to the stores!) http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=414882


Here's the recipe for the crab fondue. If anyone else makes it, I'd like your opinion.


Crab Cheese Fondue
Recipe #952096 on RecipeZaar.com

My daughter begged to take this recipe to school for her birthday party treat rather than cupcakes when she was six! The teachers asked me to make a separate batch for them the next time. We've been eating it every chance we get for the last twenty years. Given to me by a co-worker years' ago. by NcMysteryShopper

24 servings
15 min prep

1 (5 ounce) jar sharp cheese (I use Kraft Old English)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced parsley
1 loaf crispy crusted French bread, cut into serving chunks (robustly sized not daintily sized)

Soften cream cheese.

Blend the cheeses together.

Add seasonings.

Add crab and white wine.

Heat and serve in a fondue pot with accompanying bread for dipping.

May be doubled but do not double wine.

No comments: