Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Family Fondue Fun




Our last fondue pot was damaged during our move to CA. I saw one in the IKEA catalog that I thought would suit so we headed over there last night to look at it in person and see if we would like it. I also had a $5 coupon to use because I completed an online survey. Well...of course I liked the pot...anyone who has read my blog for awhile knows that I have a great love affair with IKEA...so...we brought the new pot home. =) (However, AGAIN I'm disappointed that ABBA was not playing in our store!!! I MUST report this to the manager.) Our new Friday Night Fun is "Family Fondue Night!" I looked online at RecipeZaar (www.recipezaar.com) and found over 200 fondue recipes. Who wouldda known there were so many recipes for fondue! I printed 3 or 4 and we decided to start our fondue adventures with "Cheese and Guinness Fondue". All I can say as I sit here stuffed to the brim is..."WOW, that was good!" The kids had a blast stabbing bread and apples...Steve did the dipping for them. Tinna discovered that she likes cauliflower. It was a fun experience for all of us and one we are bound to repeat soon, but maybe not with so much cheese!

Here are some photos from the last few days. Tinna and William on the slide. Laney outgrew a pair of sparkly shoes this past week, so I bought her "Hello Kitty" boots to replace them. She saw them about 2 months ago and today they were on sale. She is very happy and hasn't taken them off for 4 hours now.


Goofy girl, she went down the slide this way.


I love this one!




Obviously, Laney dresses herself these days!



Cheese and Guinness Fondue

A fun Swiss dish with a Celtic twist, this conversational dish is perfect for those cold winter nights. Cooking time is approximate. by Molly53

8 servings
25 min 10 min prep

2 lbs cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 pint Guinness stout (1 cup)
6-8 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste (I omitted this)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
bread, chunks for dipping

1. Put grated cheese into a fondue dish or enameled iron casserole and melt slowly over medium heat, stirring continuously so as not to scorch. I found that I had to do this a little at a time but eventually all 2 lbs fit into the pot nicely.

2. Add remaining ingredients, except bread, and stir until the fondue thickens slightly.

3. For dipping use chunks of French bread or toast. We used Fuji apple chunks and cauliflower along with the bread. For us, it was a meal.

No comments: